In line with recommendations from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) and National Cabinet, the Tasmanian Government has introduced mandatory vaccination for workers in a number of high-risk settings.
The requirement for vaccination against COVID-19 includes:
- people who work in aged care facilities including direct workforce and volunteers providing services on a regular basis, to be vaccinated by 17 September 2021.
- people who work in quarantine facilities and those who provide transport services to travellers during their quarantine period, to be vaccinated by 17 September 2021
- people who work in medical and health care settings, and those who provide health and medical services and treatments, and all Department of Health employees and contractors, to be vaccinated by 31 October 2021.
- people who work as disability support workers to provide high intensity support to National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) participants, to be vaccinated by 21 November 2021.
Some people may be exempt due to a medical contraindication to the COVID-19 vaccine. A Vaccination Medical exemption form is now available that requires a medical practitioner to complete.
Requirements as an employer
Employers should, as soon as is practicable, notify all staff that they are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Staff are required to provide evidence of their vaccination status, or a vaccination medical exemption, by the effective date.
From the effective date, employers must take all reasonable steps to ensure an employee does not enter, or remain the premises of a health care setting, if they are not sufficiently vaccinated against COVID-19.
The employer must maintain one or more of the following for each person:
- If second dose received (fully vaccinated), a copy or evidence of the employee's Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register OR digital evidence of their COVID-19 digital certificate
- If first dose received, a copy or evidence of their Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register, and evidence of second dose appointment
- If not yet vaccinated, evidence of their booking for a vaccination
- If they are not able to be vaccinated due to a medical contraindication, a copy of their vaccination medical exemption. An employee may have a valid medical exemption recorded in the Australian Immunisation Register OR a vaccination exemption form completed by their GP or specialist.