Gatherings FAQs

Physical distancing

You should continue to use physical distancing at all times when you are out (staying at least 1.5 metres from other people), wash your hands regularly and cover coughs and sneezes. Read about how to apply physical distancing rules.

If you are unwell, you should stay home and arrange testing for coronavirus if you have any cough or cold symptoms.

Leaving your home

The FAQs below will help you understand what these new measures mean and how they apply to daily life.

Can I take a day trip?

You can take day trips within Tasmania. Remember that you can only exercise at national parks and reserves, including beaches located on reserved land, within 30km from your place of residence.

Social visits in private households are allowed, with up to 5 people visiting at any one time (in addition to those who live in the house). However you are encouraged to stay at your residence overnight.

People with more than one residence in Tasmania – such as shack owners – must continue to base themselves in their primary residence. However, if there is a need for a household member to quarantine, then the second residence could be used to separate household members. Owners may attend a second residence to complete urgent repairs, maintenance or for a security check, but should only stay as long as necessary to complete the relevant task.

When can I shop for supplies?

Under the current restrictions, you are allowed to leave your home to use businesses or services that are currently allowed to operate.

Can I go to the cemetery and visit a gravesite of a loved one?

Yes. Before you go, check to see if the cemetery is open, as places of worship and associated premises are subject to gathering restrictions and may be closed.

What types of medical care can I access?

You should continue to access any medical care you need during COVID-19 to make sure you remain healthy and safe.

While you may still access GP appointments, optometrists, dental and other standard health services, be aware that your provider might defer non-urgent appointments. Call them to discuss your circumstances and options. You may be offered a telehealth appointment, which means that you can have your consultation by phone or videoconference where it is clinically appropriate.

Remember to practice good hygiene and physical distancing measures when you attend medical appointments.

If you require urgent medical assistance, call Triple Zero (000).

Can I donate blood?

You can still donate blood, so long as you are well and meet the usual requirements to be a blood donor.

Lifeblood Donor Centres are one of the essential services that will remain open along with supermarkets, pharmacies, banks, etc to provide life-saving blood and plasma to Australian patients.

To book a donation visit the Lifeblood website, call 13 14 95 or download the Donate Blood app.

Can I take my pet to the vet?

Yes, you can continue to take your pet to the vet.

Can I get firewood for winter?

Yes. Where possible, seek the delivery from a local provider and use contactless payment.

Remember – there are laws around the collection of firewood. For more information visit the Tasmania Police website.

Can I go to the tip?

You can take rubbish and other goods to the tip.

Before travelling to the tip, consider if your usual waste collection service will collect the waste.

Use contactless payment where possible.

See more information on minimising waste during COVID-19.

Can I sell items on Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree?

You can buy and sell items, if it is conducted lawfully. Apply common sense to maintain good hygiene and physical distancing (including contactless delivery and pickup).

Clean the items when you sell/buy them.

Do not agree to meet someone to buy/sell if you are not feeling well.

Can I sell food from my home (eg fresh fruits, vegetables, baked goods)?

Yes, if conducted lawfully. You should apply common sense to maintain good hygiene and physical distancing (including contactless delivery and pickup).

Do not agree to meet someone to buy/sell if you are not feeling well.

Am I allowed to put items in charity bins?

Although donations to charity bins have not been banned, several organisations have ceased donation collections and will be removing donation bins as a health and safety measure.

What is a prohibited business, venue or service?

Each of the premises listed in Schedule 1 of the Direction under Section 16 must not open or be operated whilst the Direction is in force.

Each of the services listed in Schedule 2 of the Direction under Section 16 must not be provided whilst the Direction i s in force.

Face-to-face open homes and auctions are permitted indoor and outdoor with up to 10 people, including staff. Attendee names and contact details should be recorded in case contact tracing is required.

Should I be going to work?

You are encouraged to continue to work from home if it works for you and your employer. For example, office workers should be encouraged to work from home to help with physical distancing measures and limit the contact between people.

If it is not possible for you to work from home, you may continue to attend your workplace as normal. You can travel to work via your usual methods, including public transport.

Tradespeople who are working remotely away from their primary residence and cannot return home easily can stay on site for the purpose of their work. They must only stay as long as necessary, and must treat that as their primary residence (for example – they must comply with other restrictions that require people to stay at home, except for certain purposes).

If you are sick, you must not attend your workplace. You must stay at home and away from others, except to seek medical treatment. Arrange testing for coronavirus if you have any cough or cold symptoms.

Can my children attend school?

In term 2, all Government, Catholic and Independent schools will transition back to school-based learning.

Until your child is able to go back to learn at school, parents should continue to supervise and support their child to learn at home. Your school will continue to provide learning materials and lead your child’s learning until your school transitions to face-to-face learning.

See Schools and childcare for more information about Term 2 learning arrangements.

What about childcare?

Childcare centres are open and children can continue to attend childcare as required.

Should grandparents be looking after grandchildren?

Tasmania’s elderly population is at a higher-risk. Steps should be taken to protect elderly grandparents from any unwell children. This does not mean grandparents cannot see grandchildren, but extra care should be taken to avoid any contact with someone who is unwell.

You may consider using alternative care arrangements if available. You can keep up the connection between grandparents and children by making time for phone calls, video chats and other ways to connect in the digital world.

What about families who share parenting arrangements?

Shared parenting arrangements still need to be managed and adhered to, unless otherwise altered by mutual arrangements/agreements. Children can live at each parent’s home in line with shared parenting arrangements. You are able to pick up and drop off your child as usual to facilitate these arrangements.

Can I exercise outdoors?

Yes, exercise is encouraged as an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Keep at least 1.5 metres from others and make sensible choices about where you go. For example, if you intend to take a walk on your local beach or park but notice that it is crowded, come back at a later time or head to the other end of the beach to start your walk. Ensure you are well away from others and not creating a ‘crowd’ situation.

Can I fly recreationally?

No, recreational flying is not considered a form of exercise and therefore is not allowed.

Can I play golf?

Yes, both social and competition golf can now be undertaken. For competition golf, there is a limit of four players per hole and groups are limited to 10 participants, not including coaches, staff and volunteers

Golf Australia will be providing information to Tasmanian golf clubs around the guidelines and measures required to enable competition golf to occur on Tasmanian courses. Competition should not resume at a course until the golf club has implemented these measures.

It is important that golf clubs and players closely follow these guidelines and measures, as the age of some regular golfers in Tasmania leaves them more vulnerable to the impact of coronavirus. Contact your golf club directly to understand what requirements may be in place.

Golf clubs can open for the purpose of serving meals if they meet the food premises requirements as outlined in the Direction under Section 16 - Gatherings - No.9. See Restaurants and cafes for more information.

Can I go surfing?

Yes, you can surf as a form of exercise.

Where possible, surfing should be undertaken in your local area (not requiring travel). Please be aware beach access restrictions may apply to your local area.

Can I go horse riding/exercise my horse(s)?

Yes, you can float horses to exercise in local areas.

Can I join a boot camp?

Yes, outdoor boot camps are open for up to 10 attendees (not including trainers) with physical distancing required.

Bring your own equipment where possible (eg fitness mat) or disinfect communal equipment between uses.

Can I go boating and fishing?

You can go boating and fishing for recreation/exercise in line with looking after your mental wellbeing and undertaking outdoor activities.

You can only launch a boat from within the municipality of your primary residence. This measure is to help prevent the spread of coronavirus to vulnerable small coastal communities. For more information on fishing or to find your nearest boat ramp visit the DPIPWE website.

The requirements of the Gathering Direction do not apply to private vessels, including boats.

Practise good hygiene such as using hand sanitiser where there is contact with shared surfaces. If you are boating alone, ensure you tell someone where you are going, wear a kill switch cord and a life jacket. See MAST's boat safety guidance in relation to occupancy limits on vessels of certain sizes.

For more information, see:

Can I go hunting?

Yes, but you must adhere to restrictions regarding travel, physical distancing, residing at your primary place of residence and gatherings. Hunting activities remain prohibited in national parks and reserves.

For more information, see Hunting in Tasmania FAQs.

Can I go to the pool?

Yes, pools can open for up to 10 people per pool, with the following restrictions:

  • One person per lane for lap swimming
  • Communal showers and change rooms to be closed (excludes toilets)
  • Swimmers encouraged to shower with soap at home before and after swimming
  • No spectators other than one parent/carer supervising a child, or a carer(s) supporting someone with a disability.

Spas, saunas, and bath houses (whether stand-alone or attached to a pool) remain closed.

A swimming pool can be used to provide physical rehabilitation services which are provided by or under the direction of a registered health practitioner or an accredited exercise physiologist.

Can I go to the park?

Yes, but there are different gathering sizes for different areas of the park.

For example, park exercise equipment and playgrounds are open for up to 10 people at any given time.

However, in a larger, open space (such as a large reserve or national park), there may be multiple groups of 10 (so long as the gatherings are separate and there is no overcrowding).

Parks can be used for activities other than exercising – such as picnics – as long as physical distancing is maintained.

Can I visit my local national park or reserve?

Yes, Tasmanian residents can exercise at their local national parks and reserves, including beaches located on reserved land, provided they are within a 30km drive from your place of residence. This can only occur during the day. Hunting activities remain prohibited in national parks and reserves. For more information see Recreational activities in National Parks and Reserves.

Can I use public transport?

Travel on public transport is exempt from restrictions on gatherings, so there can be more than 10 people using a form of public transport. Passengers are encouraged to keep physical distancing in mind and choose a seat away from others where possible.

Can I go to my shack?

No, you are not able to go to your shack for recreation.

If you are living at your shack as your temporary primary residence – for example, if you are completing a period of quarantine there – you may remain there but be aware that you are not permitted to move between your shack and another home location. You must remain at your primary residence unless you are going out for the reasons permitted under the Direction to Stay at Home.

Owners may attend a second residence such as a shack to complete urgent repairs, maintenance or for a security check, but should only stay as long as necessary to complete the relevant task.

Our shack communities are small, and many are the place of choice for our older retired community. Older Tasmanians are more vulnerable if they contract coronavirus. By moving between your house and your shack you are creating risk for communities.

Can I help a friend move house?

Yes, you can leave your home to support a friend or relative move house. The number of people helping should be kept to a minimum and, as far as practical, you should observe physical distancing while helping them. You should also consider good hygiene practices, like wiping down any regularly touched surfaces and regular hand washing.

How many people can attend a religious ceremony?

Small religious ceremonies and private worship can take place with no more than 10 people, excluding staff or volunteers present to facilitate the service or ceremony.

Services and venues involved in religious ceremonies, funerals and weddings must have a COVID-19 Workplace Safety Plan in place.

How many people can attend a funeral?

The total number of people at a funeral must not exceed 20 attendees for indoor funerals and 30 attendees for outdoor funerals.

Event or premises staff or volunteers are not included in this count.

How many people can attend a wedding?

Weddings can be conducted with no more than 10 people, excluding the couple getting married and those required to facilitate the wedding. This applies to both indoor and outdoor weddings.

What is a household?

Members of your household are those who ordinarily live in the same home.

How many people can visit a home?

Up to 5 people can visit a household at any one time. The 5 people is in addition to the people who live in the house.

Social visits in private households are allowed, but you are encouraged to spend the night at your primary residence.

Can my partner (who lives separately to me) continue to visit and stay overnight?

This is permitted, however, all parties must exercise common sense and a strong degree of caution.

If you are required to live in a place other than your primary residence (ie stay overnight with your partner) the visit should not be for longer than necessary.

A suitable arrangement during this time may be for partners to remain in the same household for the time being, if this is possible. This is not required under the Direction but is given as an example of a way to manage risk and protect people who reside in both households.

How will the stay at home and gathering orders be enforced?

Police will be conducting patrols of places throughout the State, including beaches, camping areas and other public spaces. A common sense approach will be taken to enforcing these orders and people are not required to carry special documentation or register their movements with Police.

I have information / concerns about non-compliance with quarantine requirements or gathering restrictions

If you are concerned that a fellow Tasmanian is not complying with quarantine or gathering restrictions, you can call the Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738 or report it online.