Residential tenancy changes during the COVID-19 emergency period
A number of changes have been made to residential tenancies in Tasmania under the COVID-19 Disease (Emergency Provisions) Act 2020.
- Temporary suspension of evictions in most circumstances;
- Immediate halt to any increases in rent;
- Ability to reduce rent by mutual agreement;
- Applications to break a lease due to severe hardship;
- Limited property inspections;
- Delays in evictions due to rent in arrears;
- Minor changes to responsibility for cleanliness and damage if the tenant is unable to do so due to COVID-19.
See the Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) website for more information.
COVID-19 Rent Relief Fund
A COVID-19 Rent Relief Fund has been established to assist tenants suffering from extreme hardship, with support of up to $2,000 or four weeks rent available. More information on the Fund is available from the Communities Tasmania website.