On this page
COVID-19 is, and will continue to be, a confusing and sometimes overwhelming time for many people. There are a range of support services available, including talking to your GP, a counsellor or other health professionals.
A Tasmanian Lifeline: 1800 98 44 34
Lifeline Tasmania has set up a new service for Tasmanians, specifically to deal with unprecedented demand for information, advice and support because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The new phone line will offer three types of support:
- Call in: Tasmanians calling in will receive psychosocial support from a trained support worker to discuss concerns and be directed to an appropriate referral service.
- Call out: The service will contact socially isolated older Tasmanians identified through existing services, family and friends who are concerned or by other health professionals.
- Reach out: Through partnerships with industries significantly impacted such as tourism and hospitality and retail, the service will identify at-risk community members and reach out to provide psychosocial support, counselling or employee assistance programs.
A Tasmanian Lifeline is staffed from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week.
Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service
The Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service website is regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. If you are worried or struggling to cope during the coronavirus pandemic, trained counsellors through the Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service helpline are available to support you 24/7 by calling 1800 512 348.
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania has created the Check In website to encourage all Tasmanians to look after their own mental health well-being and check in with friends and family.
The website allows you to answer some easy questions that guide you towards support and information available in Tasmania.
COVID Connect is a free service from Australian Red Cross to provide support and community connection to people who feel socially isolated as a result of COVID-19. So, if you are not in regular contact with others and could do with a friendly chat, one of the volunteers would be happy to call you – once or regularly – for a friendly chat to help maintain or improve social connection. Visit the Australian Red Cross website to find out more and register for a COVID Connect call.
Head to Health
The Head to Health website provides links to trusted Australian mental health online and phone supports, resources and treatment options. It also has online programs, forums and a range of digital information resources.
Using the search page, you can navigate to various resources and services for help if you’re experiencing mental health concerns or trying to support someone else. If you’re not sure where to start, you can also use Sam the Chatbot. Sam provides tailored recommendations on information and services that best suit your needs.
Safe from Violence
The Safe from Violence website is Tasmania’s central point of information for family and sexual violence.
Safe from Violence provides information, online resources and links to support services about family and sexual violence for a range of people including victim survivors, perpetrators, children and young people, family and friends of victim-survivors and perpetrators, service providers and the community.
For more information, please visit www.safefromviolence.tas.gov.au.
If you or someone you know is impacted by family violence call the Safe at Home Family Violence Response and Referral Line on 1800 633 937.
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual violence call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis Line on 1800 697 877.
In an emergency, always call 000.
Where to get help
There are many services waiting to listen and support anyone who needs advice or is worried, stressed or needs a friendly and understanding voice to talk things through.
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 (24 hours, 7 days)
- MensLine Australia: 1300 789 978 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800 (24 hours, 7 days)
- National COVID Older Persons Information Line: 1800 171 866 (8:30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)
- Headspace: 1800 650 890
- Rural Alive and Well (RAW): 1300 4357 6283 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service and Family Drug Support: 1800 811 994
- Alcohol and Drug Services (Department of Health): 1300 139 641
- Quit Tasmania: 13 78 48
- Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs Council Tasmania